10.12.2011

J'aime les pommes... américaines!

It's been another long period where I haven't written too much!!  Part of that has been due to the fact that I'm still getting over my sickness and am too lazy to take pictures.  Luckily, I just have a bit of a cough left now, so I'm mostly healed!

One interesting observation I've had about this cold/sickness is that the French attitude about health is slightly different from the one Americans have.  I've been told by numerous people (including the doctor I saw a couple of weeks ago) that my cold/cough/infection/pneumonia/sore throat/etc have all been caused by the change in temperature, and that I should wear more scarves.  At first I thought this was just a belief shared by a few people, but more and more people have told me that I'm not taking care of myself properly!  I don't know what to think; I've never heard of the notion that I should wear more clothing in cold weather, and that forgetting to wear a scarf might lead to a better chance at getting sick.  It's an interesting and prevalent notion here in France.

Another interesting and prevalent thing that happens in France is this: I get angry a lot at drivers when I try to cross the street.  This is, hands down, the most annoying thing I've encountered in France.  Drivers don't respect the crosswalk laws (nor do they respect the scoop laws regarding their dogs, but at least I'm not in danger of dying from that).  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to cross, anxious to catch my tram or bus, and had cars practically run me over.  It's a rare sight when a car actually stops to let you cross, even if you have the right of way.

Well, my anger must have gotten the better of me today.  As Salomé and I were crossing the busy intersection near our apartment, a car with 2 young women literally almost hit us.  They obviously saw us, but felt no need to slow down (or stop), despite the fact that there was a YOUNG CHILD with me.  I got so mad that I shook my fist at them (nothing inappropriate, as Salomé was with me).  Then, because they had to stop anyway for the stoplight, I stared them down and shook my fist again (yes, it was stupid, but I was upset).  Well, as we turned away to enter the apartment, they must have rolled down their window, because they started to yell and mock us.  Salomé told me that they were yelling, "What?! Is there a problem???!!!" over and over.  It was a bit alarming, especially knowing that they were at fault and that they still felt the need to yell even with a child present.  And that moment I decided that I would stop shaking my fist at drivers.  We were lucky they weren't more dangerous or crazy!

In another note, one of my daily rituals is to watch Salomé blow bubbles from her mouth... with her toothpaste.  She has gotten pretty good at it, and so I decided to take a picture (mostly because I have no other pictures to show, haha).



And finally, the meaning behind my blog post title: I love American apples.  Specifically: Washington apples.  Why is this relevant?  Well, I eat apples all the time... at least once a day (if I can).  It's only now that I realize just how spoiled I was when it came to a quality apple.  I have yet to find a good one here in France.  They are sort of brownish and sour on the inside here.  According to the sticker, they are "Pink Lady" brand, but imported from Chile.  Perhaps it's the Chilean soil's fault?  Who knows.  All I know is that les pommes de Washington sont les mieux! (and that my French is very bad...)

Now, that being said, almost every other type of food is better here (I think in a future post, I will make a list of all the delicious food I eat here).  I suppose this post was kind of an obnoxious one where I complain and vent a lot.  Maybe it's my culture shock emerging?  I haven't really felt much "culture shock" yet (except when I have plumes of smoke billowing into my face when I'm trying to enjoy a good meal in the summer air... or almost getting run over as I cross the street).  So maybe this is a weird way of coping with any little annoyances I might have?

I promise: next post will be happy, optimistic, and full of top-notch humor, like usual!!  ;)

À bientôt, mes amis!

1 comment:

  1. Nice bubbles!
    Gee, be safe on the roads! Odd, because so many people walk there.

    ReplyDelete