11.21.2011

Je vais faire le dîner de Thanksgiving... en France??

Ouais, je vais cuisiner le dîner de Thanksgiving pour ma famille Français!  I have never cooked Thanksgiving dinner before all by myself in the U.S. even!  I suppose now is as good a time as any to start a new tradition. The only problem is that they don't seem to carry turkeys (dindes) in abundance here.  In the States, you can walk into a supermarket and buy a massive 20 lb (9 kg) turkey for like $30!  Wish me luck on finding a turkey at all here...!

In France, as in the United States, there are already decorations for Christmas (Noël) set up everywhere.  In store windows, and strung across the streets.  It makes for a beautiful setting, and reminds me of when I first arrived in Spain a few years ago to find decorative lights set up for the holidays.



Beautiful, no?  Many of the streets look like this!  So colorful, although it's strange to see blue and purple lights mixed in with the green.  I usually expect red, white and green for Christmas.  This is lovely, though.

This past weekend, I was walking through the city and passed by a fountain that was full to the brim with soap!  I thought it was so funny and so I took a picture:


I'm not sure if you can see, but there is soapy foam on the ground!  And if anyone reading this has ever played The Sims computer game, you might laugh a little harder with me! ;)

I know it's been so long since I posted!  Things are going well here, although I'm a bit stressed over this silly dinde/turkey.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll be sure to update with some fun pictures of my first attempt at Thanksgiving dinner!  Luckily my friend is bringing over desserts, because if you knew how bad I am at baking, you would not want to eat any of my pumpkin pies or apple crumbles!  Speaking of my poor skills in the kitchen, I tried making crêpes with Mathieu this past weekend, and mine were a disaster!  I couldn't get them smooth or pretty.  Hopefully this isn't a sign of how my Thanksgiving dinner will turn out...!  Luckily Mathieu is good at cooking/baking, and so the crêpes turned out delicious!  First "we" made ham, egg and cheese, then salmon with lemon, and finally lemon and sugar for dessert.  I ate so many but they were just soooo delicious!

À bientôt! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment